Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Horses are SMART!

They are very smart. Probably more than they want to let on to, for rather obvious reasons.

Today I had the opportunity to hit the stables for 45 minutes and work Angel Eyes. She did pretty good! I need to work with her more on cantering both directions while lunging, and still a bit more on giving me space when I'm turning her away from me.

However, she did really good! After lunging her for just a minute, she was trotting and cantering through the 4" deep puddle without any hesitation. I even ground tied her twice (once for 5 seconds, once for 10) and she didn't move a step! I ended the session on a good note, and decided to reward her with a carrot after I quick-tied her to the hitching post.

Digging my triple-bladed knife outta my pocket, I sliced up the carrot chunk as so.

Sliced carrots
Yum!
After giving her one or two slices, I decided that I'd try something. I stepped a couple feet away from her, and using gestures and vocal commands ("step up", "step back", "stand", et cetera), attempted to get her squared up. Here's the thing: It worked! She knew exactly what I wanted, and was willing to do it for a mere carrot slice.

I had her earn her way by squaring up for all the remaining carrot slices, and was able to take a few pictures as well. :)

Angel standing
I just gotta get those carrots!
Angel Eyes again!
"Hold it!"
As she was happily munching on the last carrot, I managed to get one more shot.

Headshot of Angel
Awwww! She's so adorable. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment