Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Alpha Angle Branding System

The AABS is a very efficient way of branding horses that includes the breed registration, year of birth, and registration number.

The numbers are represented by right angles and parallel lines. Here are two diagrams that I put together using ink, scissors, a scanner, a flash drive, and Skitch.

The numbers "0" and "1" in AABS
The numbers 2-9 in AABS

Now that you know how each number is represented, let's explain how the brand works.

How the AABS works in an actual identification brand.
 The brand has three main parts: The breed brand, the year of birth, and the registration number. There are quite a few breeds that have a brand for this system, but I only know of 19 (18 shown here) at the moment.

Different breed symbols for the AABS
 (Sorry about the blurry handwriting!) Anyway, that's that. And actually I missed one of the freeze breed brands - the one for BLM Mustangs. I think it looks something similar to a "U"? You can look it up if you like. :)

2 comments:

  1. I know this is from 7 years ago... but where did you find the list/chart of the alpha breed synbols. Yours is the only one I could find and it led me here!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.kryokineticsusa.com/how-to-read-a-freeze-mark.html

      Delete