Saturday, March 9, 2013

Working with Angel

Last Thursday, MiniOwner and I realized that I really, really, really need to work on turning Angel away from me, instead of towards me. The problem with turning a horse towards you (like I had been doing) is that, after awhile, the horse will always try to get ahead of you - pull you, tromp past you, and just get in the way.

On Thursday I got to work with Angel on turning away from me, but it didn't seem to help that much by the end of the session. Today, however, she ended on a much better note! At first she was trying to lead me (as well as completely ignoring my cues), but then MiniOwner lunged her until she was quite tired, which helped tons. Afterwards, she was much better! She was listening, and actually let me get ahead of her to make her turn.

After working on turning her right (right as in both the opposite of left, and also right as in correctly) for some time, I worked on her sidepassing. Sidepassing has never been her forte, to put it simply. When she is happy she'll do it great at the barn, but at the shows she always thinks she can get out of it. And, I think she's right, as I don't discipline her in the show ring (because it'll get us DQ'ed).

However, my plan is that in the first trail course with sidepassing this year, if she misbehaves, I'll get after her. She needs to know that the show ring ≠ getting out of certain tasks she doesn't particularly like. If I get disqualified for it, I guess I lose ten bucks or so, and that's that.

Anyway, for a fair portion of the time I spent working with her on sidepassing, she was just paying attention to Milo (the dog). When she listened to me, though, she did pretty good! On the last time she did exceptionally well (for me not having done it with her for  along time) - not even bumping the pole once - so I decided to end it at that.

And as always, after a horse has a good training/working session, they should be rewarded. Usually this just means getting a quick grooming again, but today she also received some pieces of apple core. Angel Eyes really, really likes it when I have treats for her. ^_^

The point is, when you are leading a horse, do not make the same mistake I did and turn the horse towards you just because it's easier. It won't end well, guaranteed. Also, after a good training session with your horse (or even if your horse does something you ask of him exceptionally well), reward him. Not only does a well-trained horse need discipline, but also praise. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment