Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Breed Profile: Friesians

Friesian stallion image by Larissa Allen
Image by Larissa Allen
Height: 14.2 to 17hh, with an average of 15.3hh
Common uses: Riding, jumping, carriage horses, dressage, circus horses, and (previously) mounts for knights in armor
Characteristics: Robust, tall, stately, regal-set head, elegant high-stepping action, luxurious mane/tail, some feathering on legs, curved neck, strong forequarters, good disposition
Colors: Black. Always. Occasionally a chestnut can pop up (which means both parents are aa/Ee), but those horses are rare and are (almost always) not permitted to be registered as a Friesian. They're generally known as Red Friesians.

Unfortunately, I don't personally know any Friesian horses. I wish I did, but, alas and alack, I don't. Anyway, they seem like pretty good horses. They aren't known for having any conformational faults (that I know of), and because Friesian horses are so conformationally similar, they're used a lot in movies as carriage horses and the like.

Anyway, yep. In case you're wondering where they got the odd name, it's because the breed originated in Friesland (a province in the Netherlands).

That's all for now. If I'm ever able to get some pictures of a Friesian or two, I'll see about adding them to this post for you. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment