Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Yes, We Are Going to Move Forwards

Feather and I had a few discussions today. She was certain that when she wanted to halt she could do just that. I needed to convince her otherwise.

I wasn't able to persuade the filly by myself, though. I had attempted a few times with urging, kissing, and spanking her rump (she ignored it), but unsuccessfully. After realizing my plan of action wasn't working, I had MiniOwner aid me in my persuasion conquest. It took quite a few spanks to the Feather's rump, but finally she grasped the idea!

Just as when I started training Angel, Feather doesn't want to listen to me unless MiniOwner is around. Oh well. That will change with time - I just need more hours with her. To start, though, I will need MiniOwner to back my training and help persuade the filly that what I'm asking of her is the right answer.

Once Feather understood that her idea wasn't as pleasant as mine, things greatly improved! Especially after I brushed her down and we had some peaceful time.

Oh yeah, it was kind of funny. I was grooming Feather next to an empty feed tub, and decided to see how she would react to me rubbing it against her side. I grabbed it up, let her sniff and eye it (even though she already is familiar with it), and then proceeded to gently rub it along her barrel.

She seemed completely fine with me doing this so I started rubbing it along her sides more eagerly. She didn't care. I slid it up her neck, against her chest, down the top of her legs. She still didn't care. I even set it on her rump and she gave it no attention. This filly is seriously WHAT-THE-HECK-AND-WHO-CARES about new things. She is awesome.

Training stats for what we're working on
Leading: Needs some work, but she's improving quickly! Next goal is to have her start following me without hesitance.

Backing: She's about 70% of the way done learning this! I turn to face her hindquarters and then start moving towards her and she just backs. No hesitancy. However, we should start working on turning her while backing!

Turning on the hindquarters: This is a tricky movement that involves the horse's attention, precision, and knowing how to move their body in unnatural ways. Today Feather turned perfectly during 45 degrees of an attempt. I think she's slowly understanding the movement, it just needs practice!

Halting: This is good. :)

Squaring up: Feather is okay at this! Not great, but considering I've worked with her less than five times, she's doing awesomely. We need to work on her precision, but she has the concept straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment