Friday, September 13, 2013

Riding Nick

Late last month I rode Nick! He's the Belgian gelding that used to be named Ben.

Because I was a bit rusty at riding and Nick had some hip issues, he merely plodded along at a walk. Which was awesome. It was a bit funny - even though he's a colossal horse (standing at 17hh), when I was on his back he seemed normal height. I'm presuming that's because I haven't ridden a normal-sized horse for over a year.

We didn't have much ground to cover, so I worked on serpentines, posture, and plow-reining. Plow-reining is turning by pulling the rein the direction you want to go, with your hands as low as your arms allow. This does make for sore shoulders. You'll only steer a horse in this manner when it's a harness horse. In harness, the reins are down near the shoulders, so you hold the riding reins accordingly.

It was entirely awesome. To be on a horse is amazing, and even more so to ride a draft! I've admired draft horses for a long time, and riding one is just as fun as I had imagined.

Riding a Belgian gelding
Finally way up there. :) 
Belgian draft gelding being ridden
Pretty boy.
Alrighty, this is me! I apologize for looking ferocious in both pictures - I seem to do that when I'm concentrating! At this point in the ride he didn't want to stand still for me.

Girl riding big Belgian gelding bareback
This one's a little better. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi IZ,
    I have a comment on your water baptism post of Mar 6. How's the best way to comment on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey ta,

      There should be a little link to open the comment box when you scroll to the bottom of the post. Let me know if that still doesn't work!

      Delete
  2. Posted 6th March by Isabelle Zita
    Labels: salvation, Bible, baptism
    Then a Google Plus, Twitter & Facebook like boxes.

    That is all I see.
    Hmmmm....?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd. This is what I'm seeing and what you also should see: http://s14.postimg.org/ycv3v2boh/Picture_2.png

      If after trying the usual computer problem fixers (restart, clear cache, and so on) you still can't comment on that post, feel free to comment on a different Bible-related post. Or any post on that blog.

      Hope that works for you!

      Delete