Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Heavy Harnessing a Draft Horse

Last Thursday, I had the opportunity to heavy harness a Clydesdale! The horse's name was Tom, and he was pretty tall (that part should be obvious). Like many other Clydes, he was a bay sabino.

I was able to take pictures of Tom being harnessed, and also of other drafts at that barn. :)

Bay sabino Clydesdale draft horse
One of the many bay sabino Clydes in the herd. :)
Awww. It's a rotten picture, yeah, but I love draft horse heads. <3
White swirling/roaning on sabino Clydesdale
This is what some of the swirling-ish white looked like on the flaxen sabino Clyde.
Sabino Clydesdale horse's muzzle
They have such large muzzles. XD 
Bay sabino Clydesdale horse view from behind
Isn't the horse beautiful? I reallllly really like the white extended stockings.
Clydesdale draft horse being tacked up in heavy harness
And there's the heavy harness before having been pulled out over the back and rump.
White extended stockings on a bay sabino Clydesdale
Okay, yes, I *am* obsessed with the hind legs. But hey - they're so pretty! The white stockings with the bay is just lovely. 
Flaxen chestnut sabino Clydesdale head
The flaxen chestnut Clyde.
Bay sabino Clydesdale head
I'm pretty certain this mare is Abigail.
Black Thoroughbred with Percheron warmblood cross
This black mare is a Percheron x TB cross, which makes her a warmblood! It was really neat to meet her, because I've always liked warmbloods and she was the first I've ever been close to. :)
Bay sabino Clydesdale horse
His white markings are just fabulous.
Girl standing next to Clydesdale horse
As a scale, here are Tom and I. I'm about 5'8", so yes, he is a big boy. 
Clydesdale draft horse feathers!
Feathers! We got to touch these, and they're really silky.

No comments:

Post a Comment