Friday, June 14, 2013

Shotty Sketch of a Thoroughbred

Also, the word "shotty" just means low-quality, not great, and so on. It doesn't have anything to do with the swear word, although sometimes I wonder... *shrugs*

This morning I tried to draw a horse. It could still use more work, but here's what I've got so far.

Drawing of a Thoroughbred

See? Something with how the front and hind end are aligned is just messed up. Being critical here, I think the hind end could be lower or something, the neck could be a bit shorter, the legs could be a bit more refined for the size of the head, and the croup could be flatter (more like an Arabian's).

On the bright side of things, the legs actually turned out! Maybe not proportionately, but if you look at them individually they don't look near as bad as they usually turn out. Also, it seems I'm usually stuck in the rut of "all my horses must look alike", so it's nice to have a more leanly built one.

Is it actually an Old English-type TB? Probably not. I just called it that because in old paintings of Thorougbreds the neck and head are long and thin.

Regardless, if I could splice the drawing into a horse's hind end and then a horse's front end and neck/head, I think it wouldn't actually look that bad. It's just that the two did not align right in this drawing.

Actually, let me do that now and see if it looks any better.
...
Oh snap, now it looks like a hot-dog horse. :P Regardless, the front end looks better to me than the hind end. If you pick out anything else that I can fix on this horse, feel free to tell me.

1 comment:

  1. And, aha! The highest point of the rump should be forward more...there's something else I can fix.

    ReplyDelete