Monday, December 30, 2013

Watercolor + Horse Lineart

Within the past two weeks I've been working to draw a yearling horse. Well, I can't take all of the credit; I originally traced the horse from a picture in my "96 Horse Breeds of North America" book. Some minor changes were made, most of them being accidental and originating between tracing traces of traces.

Last week I finished the line-art copy of the drawing, and today I felt bored and dug out my watercolor paints.

I would have used our oil paints, but the supplies were in hiding. :(

Stuck with the watercolors without the right colors for a buckskin, I attempted painting a red bay.  Fortunately the paints had a lovely shade of cherry brown to use. :)

Considering I haven't touched a paintbrush for years, it turned out much better than I had expected!


The mistakes are bothering my perfectionist side, but most of those are housed within the horse's conformation (not the painting). The horse's neck looks oddly shaped due to the mane, the face is a bit disoriented, and the head looks disproportionately small. Oh, well. At least this counts as painting practice!

My favorite part of this is most likely the nearer hind leg. The shading on it turned out nicely. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment